Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

926 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90403

(310) 395-3992

Santa Monica Palisades Lodge No. 307 is a historic Lodge in the heart of Santa Monica, California. Come learn more about Freemasonry and our ancient Craft.

SMP307 125th.png

125th Anniversary

2016 marks the 125th Anniversary of Santa Monica-Palisades Lodge No. 307. We have a celebration in October to commemorate this momentous occasion. 

What:  125th Anniversary of Santa Monica-Palisades No. 307

When:  Saturday, October 15th at 6:30pm, (Parking not available until after 6pm in the lot, and free parking on the street). 

Where: Santa Monica Masonic Center (926 Santa Monica Blvd.)

Who:  All Masons and their families are invited. Any members of the Santa Monica community. Grand Lodge Officers will attend.

Attire:  Formal Attire.  Tuxedos for the Officers. Dark suits for the men. Evening wear for the ladies. 

RSVP: Kindly RSVP online at: http://125thanniversary.app.rsvpify.com/ 

Contact: Greg Cherry for more information.

 

History of Santa Monica-Palisades Lodge

On the evening of March 9, 1891, seventeen Master Masons met at the home of Brother Martin Henry Volkman on Third Street, near Santa Monica Blvd. The purpose of the meeting were initial discussion to form a Masonic Lodge here in Santa Monica. There were only a few thousand residents at that time. One of the attendees was Brother Abbott Kinney, a member of Pasadena Lodge No. 272, and the founder of Venice Beach, CA.

On June 10, 1891, a dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge of California. A few days later the first official Lodge meeting was held. And on October 14, 1891, a Charter was granted to Santa Monica Lodge No. 307.  Only 7 months passed from the first unofficial lodge meeting, to a fully chartered and working lodge. 

 Bank of Santa Monica at 3rd and Oregon Blvd. 

Bank of Santa Monica at 3rd and Oregon Blvd. 

The lodge was actually instituted and started meeting when it was issued a dispensation on June 10, 1891.

 Interior of the first Masonic hall for No. 307

Interior of the first Masonic hall for No. 307

According to the 1891 Grand Lodge proceedings, the lodge met on the third Friday in each month. The first Master was Le Roy Decatur Brown, then superintendent of schools for Santa Monica. The first Senior Warden was William Templeman Gillis, from New Brunswick,Canada, who was a pharmacist and had a pharmacy in Santa Monica. The first Junior Warden was Niles Rathbon Folsom, a merchant in Santa Monica. Charles Scott Dales was the first Secretary and was also City Clerk and later City Assessor of Santa Monica. His sons were grocers in Santa Monica under the firm name of Dales Brothers. Abbot Kinney, the founder of Venice, was the lodge’s first Treasurer. Another charter member was Edwin Vawter, who owned and operated one of Ocean Park’s first tourist attractions, the Ocean Park Floral Company. The Vawter family went on to establish Ocean Park’s first bank, the first water company, the first Presbyterian Church, and a horse car line connecting Ocean Park to the rest of Santa Monica.

The lodge was constituted at a ceremony at which its charter was presented. Officiating as the Grand Master during the ceremony was the local Inspector (of the then 25th District) who was Francis C. Woodbury, the founder of Woodbury College.

 

 

 

  Excerpted from

THE LOS ANGELES HERALD, 1891

Yesterday Santa Monica lodge U. D. of F. and A. M. was duly inaugurated. Many visiting

brethren were present, among them being Prof. Woodbury, district deputy grand master. The

new lodge room and its adjuncts are the equal of any in the state, the lodge sparing no expense

that would make the future home of Masonry at the city by the sea an ideal one. The lodge is

situated on the top floor of the Bank block, corner of Third and Oregon avenues. The main or

assemblage room is 52 by 26 and the banquet hall, which is to the left, separated by folding

doors, is 32 by 18. There are two ante-rooms, 10 by 14 and 16 by 18 respectively, with closets

innumerable. The furniture, which is all of native woods, is after the most approved patterns,

with blue plush curtains at the alcoves or windows, and with fine carpets on the floor, which

makes it all that could be desired. At the appointed hour the lodge was duly started on its grand

mission of inculcating the never-dying principles of the order which has withstood all the

assaults of time and will live on to the end.

 Image of Santa Monica in 1877

Image of Santa Monica in 1877

 

The following are the charter members: Leroy Decatur Brown, Southern California lodge 278, California;

William Templeau Gillis, New Caledonia lodge 11, Nova Scotia;

Niles Rathbon Folsom, Tekamah lodge 31, Nebraska;

Abbott Kinney, Pasadena lodge 272, California; Charles Scott Dale, Fairfield lodge 206, Illinois;

Martin Henry Volkman, St. Andrews lodge 64, Connecticut;

Marcus D. Feather, Richmond lodge 57,

Missouri; Henry Clay Bagg, Southern California lodge 278, California;

Julius I. Comstock, Morning Star lodge 10, Wisconsin;

Charles Bergk, Pentalpha lodge 202, California;

Frederick Klare, Southern California lodge 278, California;

Hermann Evard Hasse, Southern California lodge lodge 278, California;

Menzo B. Boyce, Southern California lodge 278, California;

Charles Edwards Ferris, Capitol lodge 3, Nebraska; J. Elias Dunham, Lebanon lodge 26, Ohio;

John Schaeffer, Lincoln lodge, Nebraska.  Leroy D. Brown has been appointed master, W. T. Gillis, senior warden, and N. R. Folsom, 

junior warden of Santa Monica lodge by the  dispensation.